The Adopt-a-School Program is a DCPS initative launched in 2015 by the School Partnerships Division (SPD) in the Office of Family and Public Engagement. This program provides a structured pathway for partnership between DCPS schools and our community of supporters. This program is intended for corporate and community organizations interested in building relationships with schools that support student success for a minimum of one academic year. During this collaboration, partners and schools will work together to determine how to best connect partner resources and interests with the school’s unique needs. This relationship is a joint effort led by the school and partner, and supported by the SPD.
- Designate 1 person from the school and partner to serve as the Program Liaison to lead efforts throughout the year.
- Jointly submit a partnership plan in the Fall and another in the Spring.
- The partner supports or hosts at least 3 school-based activities and 1 donation to support the school community.
- The school and partner attend district-wide meetings throughout the year to network and plan with other program participants.
- The school and partner must complete mid and end of year reports.
Participating schools and partners are matched on an annual basis and receive supports throughout the school year to keep the relationship on track. Interested schools and partners are required to complete an application process which is then used to match partnerships based on shared interests and goals. Once matched, schools and partners are expected to work together to complete the program requirements outlined below.
A typical year in the Adopt-a-School program is outlined here and follows the course of a school year, August - June.
Interested schools and partners should complete the appropriate application by the designated deadline. Upon completion of the application, the School Partnerships Division will contact you with next steps.